Car accidents in Grand Rapids often cause severe injuries and life-threatening conditions. In most cities, the most common cause of a personal injury claim is traffic accidents. On Grand Rapids roads during 2017, there were 8,907 crashes resulting in 17 deaths and 1,905 injuries. If you have been injured in a car accident, you need an attorney who can help you file insurance claims to recover all compensation available for your injuries, losses, and damages. For many individuals, maximizing compensation means filing two insurance claims.  To learn more about the two claims you need to file after a car accident, contact The Clark Law Office at 517-347-6900 to schedule a free legal consultation with our Grand Rapids car accident lawyer.

Filing a First Party Claim After a Car Accident

Because Michigan is a no-fault insurance state, you need to file a first-party claim against your no-fault insurance provider. If you were a passenger in a vehicle and you do not have a no-fault insurance policy, you can file a claim against the driver’s insurance policy. No-fault insurance is designed to make filing a claim easier.  No-fault insurance typically covers financial damages such as:

  • The cost of medical care;
  • A portion of your loss of income for up to three years;
  • Personal care in your home;
  • Help with household services;
  • Mileage to and from doctor’s visits; and,
  • Vocational rehabilitation.

As stated above, first-party claims do not pay for all damages you may sustain in a car accident. Specifically, these claims do not pay for your physical pain and suffering caused by the car crash.  To recover compensation for your suffering, you must file a third-party claim.  Because you do not need to prove anyone was at fault to receive benefits, you simply need to file a claim. However, it is not always that easy, and no-fault insurance does not cover all damages. Your insurance company may unfairly delay or deny your claim, even though you have faithfully paid your insurance premiums each month. What should be a simple process can often be frustrating and overwhelming.  Our Grand Rapids car accident attorney can help you file a first-party claim and ensure you are receiving all benefits you are entitled to under your policy. In addition, we can help you file a third-party claim seeking pain and suffering damages.

Filing a Third-Party Claim After a Car Accident

Blue Walking Bridge in Grand Rapids, MI When you are injured in a car accident, you suffer a variety of damages, including financial damages, property loss, and physical injuries. First-party claims or no-fault insurance claims are not designed to compensate you for your emotional suffering, physical pain, and mental anguish. To recover compensation for your suffering and pain, you need to file a claim or lawsuit against the person who caused the accident.  However, Michigan law has four requirements that you must meet before filing a claim against the at-fault party. You must prove that the other driver is at least 50 percent responsible for the cause of the crash. In addition, you must provide evidence that proves you were injured and the crash caused the injury. Lastly, your injury must meet a certain threshold of severity before you can recover money for your pain and suffering claim.

Our Grand Rapids car accident attorneys have extensive experience investigating car accidents to determine fault. We also understand the elements required for filing a pain and suffering claim. Our staff diligently works to locate and secure the evidence needed to prove each element so that you can receive compensation for the painful injuries, emotional stress, and mental anguish that you suffered because of a negligent driver.  To learn more about recovering full compensation for all your damages, contact The Clark Law Office at 517-347-6900 to schedule a free legal consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer in Grand Rapids.

What is the Most Dangerous Intersection in Grand Rapids?

According to the list of the Top 5,000 Michigan Crash Intersections for 2016, the sixth most dangerous intersection as 28th Street SE at Broadmoor Avenue SE in Grand Rapids. There were 77 crashes at that intersection in 2016. However, that is not the only intersection in the city that was on the list. Other intersections that made the Top 50 were:

  • 28th Street SE at Kalamazoo Avenue SE
  • 28th Street SE at Breton Road SE
  • East Beltline Avenue SE at Lake Eastbrook Blvd. SE

Common Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents

Vehicle crash in Grand Rapids, MI Even a low-impact fender bender can cause injuries to the occupants of the vehicle. In some cases, accident victims may not believe they are seriously injured. The shock and adrenaline after a car accident can mask some injury symptoms. However, in the days and weeks that follow, the pain that they thought was just stiffness from the accident is a symptom of a far more severe injury.  Therefore, it is always a good idea to be seen by a medical professional as soon as possible after a car accident. In addition, if you file a third-party claim, you need detailed, medical documentation that you suffered an injury and the injury was caused by the crash. Seeking immediate medical treatment after the collision can be a huge factor in succeeding with a pain and suffering claim.  Injuries that are common in car accidents include:

  • Head and Brain Injuries, including concussions, closed head injuries, and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
  • Broken Bones and Fractures
  • Back Injuries and Spinal Cord Injuries, including paralysis
  • Burn Injuries, including scarring and disfigurement
  • Neck and Shoulder Injuries, including whiplash
  • Amputations
  • Internal Bleeding and Damage to Internal Organs
  • Lacerations and Abrasions

If you are in a car accident, go directly to the emergency room to be examined by a physician. However, if you do not go to the hospital, you should see your family doctor as soon as possible. Diagnosing injuries quickly is important for your health and your insurance claim.

Call a Grand Rapids Car Accident Attorney for Help

Filing an insurance claim for a car accident can be overwhelming. We want to help relieve as much stress as possible so that you can focus on your recovery. Our no upfront fee means that you can hire our law firm without worrying about paying an attorney fee retainer at the beginning of your case. We receive payment for our attorney fees when we recover money for your claim.  Call The Clark Law Office at 517-347-6900 to schedule a free legal consultation with a Grand Rapid car accident lawyer.