What Happens When a Car Runs Your Motorcycle Off the Road?
Motorcycle drivers know that they should be extra cautious on the road than regular motor vehicle drivers. Unlike vehicles with twice as many wheels, motorcycle bikes will leave anyone more exposed to the elements on the road. Being exposed to these elements means putting your own safety at risk. Therefore, when crashes happen, motorcycle drivers are likely to face more severe consequences.
In 2018, there were a total of 2,728 motorcycle crashes recorded in Michigan alone. About 2,004 of these, or 73% of the total motorcycle crashes, resulted in physical injuries. Also, there were 134 recorded deaths and 590 property damages. To put it in another perspective, you have a 73% chance to have an injury, a 22% chance to face property damages, and a 5% chance to die, if you’re involved in a motorcycle crash.
Because of these very high risks, many motorcycle drivers try to avoid danger whenever they can. However, motorcycle drivers are still at the mercy of other motor vehicles on the road. Four-wheeled cars can quickly ram and shove away their motorcycles aside off the road. Besides, these motorcycle crashes often happen because of careless driving.
Careless Driving on Roadways
With the rise in the number of vehicles on the road, traffic jams become increasingly common. When this happens, many drivers resort to careless and aggressive driving including unsafe lane changes.
Careless driving occurs when drivers of motor vehicles give little to no regard to the safety of others on the road, especially the motorcycles. The most common types of careless driving that result in motorcycle crashes include the following:
- Aggressive driving
Aggressive drivers do not follow simple road precautions and signs. They drive recklessly as if they are on a high-speed chase. They would run red lights and stop signs, swerve through traffic, illegally drive on wrong lanes, and even yell or blink their lights at other drivers.
- Distracted driving
Distracted drivers often do other things aside from driving. Some of them may text or call while driving, eat while driving, or even joke around with the passengers on the car.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or illegal drugs
Drunk drivers, as well as those under the influence of illegal drugs, are in a state of altered consciousness. Because of this, their ability to drive safely is compromised.
- Rough terrain and bad weather
Rough roads, as well as bridges, single-lane roadways, sharp curves, and intersections, increases the risk of motorcycle crashes. The risk is also high during rains because of slippery roads, and during fog because of decreased vision.
- Technical issues
Some crashes happen because of unexpected technical problems such as faulty brakes and deer. In these scenarios, there is less human error.
When motorcycle drivers exhibit these careless driving acts, they create the perfect scenario for a vehicular crash, including motorcycle crashes. As mentioned earlier, these motorcycle crashes often result in personal injuries.
With nothing but their helmets to prevent further injuries, motorcycle drivers are at the most risk on the road. This high safety risk leaves them prone to serious physical injuries. Here are the common medical conditions associated with motorcycle crashes:
- Bone fractures and dislocations
- Burns and wounds
- Internal bleeding
- Brain and spinal cord injuries
- Coma and death
What to Do After a Motorcycle Crash
Now that we know what happens in a motorcycle crash, here are the things we should do in those situations:
- Do not leave the scene.
Do not drive away if you are involved in a crash. Leaving the scene is punishable by law. You will face fines and even jail time if you leave the accident without doing anything about it.
- Seek medical attention.
As with other urgent emergencies, call for emergency medical services immediately. They will arrive as soon as possible and tend to the injury, which can lower the chance of having more serious disabilities.
- Notify the police.
Aside from emergency medical services, you should also call the police to have the crash investigated. Their reports can be beneficial for you to get compensated.
- Negotiate with the other driver.
If you can, exchange names, addresses, contact information, license numbers, registration, and insurance information with the other drivers involved in the crash. This will be helpful later on when you are trying to get compensated.
- Know the law.
In Michigan, every motorcycle owner is mandated to purchase a Liability Coverage following the no-fault law. There is also an optional Medical coverage. When a motorcycle crash happens, the motor vehicle owner’s insurance pays for the victim’s bills. If the bills exceed the insurance, the Motorcycles and the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association will reimburse the extra expenses.
- Seek legal help.
Despite the law, some insurance companies may try to cover far less of what motor accident victims actually deserve. To avoid this from happening, you need professional legal assistance to help prove that you needed to be compensated.
Contact a Michigan Motorcycle Attorney for Quality Legal Assistance
The motorcycle accident lawyers at The Clark Law Office know how to get around these insurance companies and help you win your case. We are a team of dedicated and skilled lawyers with more than 30 years of legal experience with personal injuries and motorcycle accidents. Get in touch with us at (517)347-6900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.