A car accident can be a very traumatic experience for any driver and passenger. Aside from the mental and emotional trauma, the most evident results of the accident are physical injuries the victim may incur. It can range from small scratches to severe, disabling injuries. Once the car hits, it is usual for a victim to feel shocked and confused, with almost no idea of what to physically expect right after the accident.
The First Step Is To Assess Your Injuries
The first thing to do after an accident is to check yourself for any injury. Locate any body pain you may be feeling and visually inspect for any bruises or cuts. The next step is to check on others and do the same for other passengers, especially if they are unconscious. You may expect the following injuries from a car accident:
Visible and Severe Car Accident Injuries
There are different injuries one can suffer and notice immediately right after the accident. There are visible injuries that can be serious, life-threatening, and permanent. Immediate hospital care must be given to the victim. These include:
- Spinal Cord Injuries – This can result in pain, paralysis, or loss of sensation in different levels of severity, depending on where the injury is. The injuries can cause permanent disabilities and may require the use of wheelchairs and other assistive devices.
- Fractures or broken bones – There are different types of fractures with a range of invasive and conservative management. Some serious fractures need surgery. Usually, it takes at least six weeks to heal fully, limiting one’s mobility and activities.
- Skin burns – Depending on the severity of the burn, it may lead to lifelong scarring and other complications. One may need different interventions, from plastic surgery to psychotherapy. Burn injuries can also limit one’s mobility and activities.
Car Accident Injuries with Delayed Onset of Symptoms
Some victims may suffer injuries that will not be noticeable right away. That is why immediate medical care is critical after a car accident. The injuries below may show symptoms in hours or even days after the incident.
- Whiplash – The back and forth impact of a car collision can result in whiplash injuries, with delayed symptoms of headaches, pain or loss of motion in the neck, dizziness, arm numbness, ringing in the ears, and blurring of vision.
- Hypovolemic Shock – Significant loss of blood or fluids in the body has symptoms of increased heart rate, shallow breathing, lightheadedness, cold or pale skin, and blue lips or fingernails. It is life-threatening and can lead to internal bleeding and even death.
- Concussion – Brain bruising is considered a traumatic brain injury. It can result in cognitive deficits from confusion, difficulty responding to questions, and changes in mood, personality, or behavior. A victim may feel normal after the incident until symptoms show hours or days after.
Why Do You Need an Attorney for Car Accident Physical Injuries?
Are you a cautious driver who always practices safety on the road, but still had a car accident? If you suffered physical injuries, it could significantly change your life, whether in a big or small way. You will need a personal injury attorney after a car accident because they will help you with the following:
- Avoid insurance companies who will immediately settle or make you at fault for the accident
- Claim the rightful amount and not lower than the claims of your injury
- Be able to get the best and proper medical care
- Protect your best interest amidst medical procedures, lost wages, and emotional and physical recovery
- Have peace of mind because expert lawyers protect you and your family
Personal Injury Lawyers to Protect You After a Car Accident
The Clark Law Office takes pride in our team of experienced personal injury attorneys in Michigan. For decades now, we have been dealing with personal injuries and auto accident cases all across the state. If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident in Michigan, you will need all the help you can get. Amidst mountains of medical bills, physical and psychological pain, and loss of income and properties, you must remember that you are not alone. With our strong legal counsel, we can help you win your case and get the compensation you rightfully deserve. Contact our Lansing car accident lawyers today, and let’s discuss it.