Wage Loss Benefits Under Michigan No-Fault Law

Michigan uses what is called wage loss benefits in order to reimburse injured victims for their loss of income following a motorcycle accident.  The law in Michigan is the same regardless if the accident was involved a motorcycle, auto accident, bike accident, or pedestrian accident.  The person injured during the accident is entitled to wage loss benefits if they are unable to work because of disability.  In order to receive these wage loss benefits, you must currently be employed or be able to prove that you were actively looking for a job at the time of the injury.

How Much Will I Receive For Wage Loss Benefit Payments?

wage-loss-benefitsYou are able to collect 85% of your gross pay including overtime or loss of income for up to 3 years.  You must prove that you are disabled and unable to work due to the injuries sustained from your motorcycle or motor vehicle accident.  While being self-employed makes this calculation much more difficult, you are still eligible to receive wage loss benefit payments.  Another common scenario is the injured person loses their job due injuries resulting from a vehicle accident.  In this particular case, you are entitled to wage loss benefits even if you are no longer disabled.  To qualify, you must be actively seeking employment after your disability ended.  Because Michigan uses No-Fault Law, your own insurance company is usually responsible for making these payments.

How Do I Submit My Wage Loss Benefit Claim in Michigan?

You must submit your Michigan wage loss and income benefit claim to your insurance company.  Usually, you give it to the auto-insurance adjuster that has been assigned to your accident claim.  You will also need some accompanying information.  You need an official note or more specifically an attending physician’s report from your doctor that shows the injuries you have sustained disables you from performing your job.  The doctor issuing this report will also note a date range or period that you are unable to work.  On top of all this, you also need to complete a wage verification form from your employer or other proof of income which you will turn into the assigned insurance adjuster.

Is There a Time Limit For Filing My Michigan Wage Loss Claim?

Yes, there is a time limit.  You must submit the initial wage loss claim within 1 year of the disability.  You must also submit these claims on a monthly basis following the initial submission in order to continue receiving benefits.

What Should I Do If My Claim Is Denied?

Insurance companies don’t make money by freely writing checks.  They often deny claims which should qualify regardless of the cause of the motorcycle accident and the injuries sustained in the crash.  Your only action is to file a lawsuit against the insurance company to get the benefits that you need and deserve.  This lawsuit must be filed within 365 days of the date when your insurance company stopped paying for your no-fault wage loss benefits.  If you don’t file this lawsuit within 365 days, you lose the ability to recover compensation for wage loss.

Contact a Michigan Motorcycle Lawyer For Your Wage Loss Claim

We understand the financial difficulties that happen following a motorcycle accident.  Injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents take an extended amount of time to heal and this usually effects their job states or earning ability.  On top of this, medical expenses build quickly putting even more stress on you and your family financially.  We know what to do in these types of situations and we can help you!  For more information about recovering your wage loss benefits, call our trusted lawyers today at (517) 347-6900.  You can also complete our free and confidential contact form to get in touch with us.  We handle all motorcycle accident cases with a no-fee guarantee.  It costs you nothing to start your case and you don’t pay unless you win.

Rate this page