We always try to be responsible for our actions to make safety a priority. Driving is an activity that is especially important in this regard. As much as possible, we try to drive unimpaired to not pose any danger to those around us. Unfortunately, this responsibility is not heeded by everyone. There are still many drunk driving incidents that we should be concerned about.
Injuries caused by drunk driving accidents are the focus of some Michigan state laws. People that have been injured by these car accidents can receive benefits from insurance. Thorough knowledge of the law is necessary for the victim to receive benefits. Clark Law Office has top-notch lawyers available to help you with this matter.
Drunk Driving Statistics and the Risks of Drunk Driving
Accidents involving alcohol while driving are prevalent worldwide. These accidents often cause disastrous consequences including fatalities, back injuries, brain injuries, broken bones, etc. for those involved. More importantly, many innocent people can potentially be affected and have their lives changed forever.
Drunk driving incidents have increased by more than 40% since 1982 in the United States. Fatalities related to drunk driving account for almost one-third of all accident-related deaths. In fact, the nationwide estimate is that more than 37,000 people were killed in drunk driving incidents in 2017 alone. Blood alcohol content varied for each of these accidents. Drunk driving is a lot more common nowadays, which is why it is necessary to stay protected.
Some of the potential effects that drunk driving may have are the following:
- Physical harm, which can range from mild to severe.
- Emotional damage and trauma, depending on the severity of the accident.
- Permanent loss of function, especially for the most severe cases.
- Damage and loss of property.
If you or any of your loved ones have been involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, then make sure that you try to claim your benefits. The compensation that you will receive can help pay for medical costs and therapy sessions. You may contact us at Clark Law Office if you need to hire lawyers to help you.
Who Can Benefit from the Incident?
Michigan laws for Personal Injury Protection (also known as PIP) also cover car-related accidents and injuries. The PIP portion of your automobile insurance can help pay for any costs that you may need to shell out while being treated for the injury. There is no maximum limit for this benefit. PIP benefits do not check for liability in terms of the treatment benefits. This means that anyone who has been injured or involved in the drunk driving accident can receive benefits. It is not just the victim that can receive compensation for the incident. Make sure that you consult a professional to learn more about how you or your loved ones can benefit from this compensation.
Benefits and Compensation
Personal Injury Protection can cover a wide range of benefits for those that have been injured. Some of the benefits that people can receive from this are the following:
- Hospitalization and therapy fees: The injured can obtain full compensation for any expenses incurred due to hospitalization and therapy sessions. Any injuries related to the accident, as well as procedures to address these, will be compensated. There is no maximum limit to the expenses that can be compensated for hospitalization fees.
- Lost wages: If the injured is unable to work as a result of the accident, PIP can also cover up to three years’ worth of salary.
- Domestic aid: Should the injured be unable to function properly on everyday tasks, then this compensation can also apply. Any help that the injured may need to hire to aid in everyday domestic tasks will also be compensated by the PIP.
There are some clauses, of course, that are related to the points mentioned above. Make sure that you do not miss out. Consult with a professional lawyer form The Clark Law Office to learn more about the benefits.
Ask a Car Accident Lawyer in Michigan to Learn More about Drunk Driving Injuries
State laws can be quite tricky to deal with. Many insurance companies will try to withhold money as much as possible, so it would be wise to consult with professionals. Matters related to this type of law are our specialty. The Clark Law Office is ready to serve you, defend you, and help you claim what is rightfully yours. If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident in Michigan, we urge you to get in touch with us immediately. Call us at +1 (517) 347-6900 today and speak with a representative.